Thursday, June 29, 2006

All is right with the world

We have made Mexican food.

This bag of tortilla chips was on a comically dusty supermarket shelf, right below the Indian food. (Of course I didn't think to photograph it before tearing it open.)

In the same section of the store, I found canned black beans. I had to buy three pounds of assorted cheeses (they just don't sell small amounts of unaged cheese here), because I was unsure how to approximate monterey jack. Because I know you're wondering now, it turns out that oranjekaas is close enough--salty and mild. Just how I like my... oh, never mind.

I got some very ripe avocados from a market down the street, too, and we brought a can of green chiles from Chicago. It was a pleasant meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the updates. The Netherlands does not feel so far away and not so different. Am still without phone service sinsce Fri. It should be repaired tomorrow, Fri., and, hopefully, the DSL installed at the same time. I have started an International Cities acct with Verizon for only $4/mo so I can call you for only 10 cents/min. I now need a phone number where you can be reached. Have you gotten my emails? What is your phone number? What is the situation with your cell, phone, and computer, etc.? Are you getting any of my messages? Hellooooooo, out there........ Love, MOM

Gouda girl said...

Not to worry, everyone, I have since called my mother.

It took me a bit longer to figure out how to get the comments on this blog. Oops!