Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mooie Dag

I've had a nice day.

A few months ago I noticed that I'd misplaced (my only copy of) my Dutch tax ID number. Trying to avoid more Dutch bureaucracy at all costs, I searched increasingly obscure nooks in my apartment for the paper, until finally I had to give up and make another appointment to get the paper. After several confusing phone calls (government people are not allowed to speak English, I think for liability reasons), Casey learned from his department secretary that the tax numbers had been reorganized since I last went, and that now I had to go to my local registration office. The same office that, after a year and a half of indescribably awful bureaucratic experiences, was the one that made me cry within its walls. Today I couldn't put it off any longer, so I struck out after lunch, time-killing novel in hand.

Walking into these offices, you first must find a counter where you explain your errand and get an appropriate waiting number. The guy at this counter was uncharacteristically friendly today, smiling and waving at the baby carried by the couple in line in front of me. When it was my turn, I told him in rudimentary Dutch that I needed my tax ID, and he smiled, handed me a number, and said, "Perfect!" I looked at the number (J708) and back at him. He gave me a thumbs-up, and eventually I realized he was telling me that my Dutch was perfect. So I grinned and took a seat, happy (but cautious).

After a totally reasonable wait, my number was called. In the office, I explained again that I needed my tax number, and the guy nodded and said, "Ja, dat kan." This phrase has been the bane of my existence for some while. It means "that can be," and it's used in the most aggravating instances possible. E.g., "How much longer do I have to wait for the immigration decision? I was told three weeks and it's now been six months!" "Ja, dat kan" (dismissively). But what was this? "Dat kan" pronounced in a helpful tone?

So, I got my tax number and made it out of that office intact! On the way home I got a few errands done. I even inadvertently bargained the fish monger down by 10%!

In celebration of my really nice (albeit pedestrian) day, I'm posting a photo from Amsterdam. It's been a while! This one was taken a few weeks ago, from the middle of the Seven Bridges along Reguliersgracht. Mike (an old friend from college) was visiting, and we rented paddle boats. The three of us took turns pedaling, navigating, and steering, and despite my best efforts to slowly run us into various walls and Casey and Mike's efforts to play chicken with large tour boats, we managed to make it back to the dock in our allotted 1.5 hr. Highly recommended (and thanks to Rachel for encouraging me to try it)!

No comments: